Sony Ericsson just announced some new Android smartphones at CommunicAsia. This geek have not got a chance to look a look at them yet, but will check them over at CommunicAsia sometime this week. in the meantime, you can get more details in the press release attached below:
22 June 2011, Singapore – Sony Ericsson today broadened its portfolio with the introduction of two new Xperia smartphones, a feature phone and Smart Extras™ in conjunction with CommunicAsia 2011 in Singapore. Adding to the Xperia™ portfolio, Xperia™ ray and Xperia™ activeboth run the latest version of the Android platform for smartphones (Gingerbread 2.3) and deliver unique consumer experiences. The company also announced new Smart Extras™ that enhance the overall Sony Ericsson experience.
“Today’s announcement demonstrates that we continue to deliver a portfolio to make the Sony Ericsson experience available to a broad range of consumers,” said Steve Walker, Chief Marketing Officer, Sony Ericsson. “As the Android platform gains market share in Asia Pacific, the Xperia™ portfolio is well positioned to deliver consumers a unique and differentiated experience.”
Underscoring Sony Ericsson’s commitment to the Android platform, Xperia™ ray and Xperia™ active offer consumers unique design and technology for an entertaining experience.
For those who want a sleek and beautiful design, Xperia™ ray combines a slim 9.4mm form factor with a high quality aluminum frame and a 3.3” screen
- To deliver speed along with stunning visuals and clarity, this Android smartphone
contains a powerful 1Ghz processor and uses Sony technology such as Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® engine and a 8.1mp camera with Exmor R™ for mobile sensor. Xperia™ ray will be available globally in select markets, including Japan, from Q3.
- For consumers with an active lifestyle Xperia™ active has a compact design combined with a number of innovative hardware features including a 3” screen, a powerful 1Ghz processor and a 5mp camera. It is also dust proof and water resistant and uniquely incorporates wet finger tracking.
- This smartphone features a corner user interface which comes pre-loaded with sports apps that enable users to easily track their fitness levels. By using the built-in GPS, barometer and compass in combination with the on-screen heart rate & pulse monitor (enabled by ANT+ wireless networking technology), and the iMapMyFitness app – users can easily monitor their day to day performance. Xperia™ active will be available globally in select markets from Q3, 2011.
Xperia™ PLAY in more markets across Asia Pacific:
Sony Ericsson also announced the availability of Xperia™ PLAY, the world’s first PlayStation® certified smartphone to three additional markets in Asia Pacific in Q3 – Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. Australia, India and Singapore have already launched this model.
- With more than 100 titles now confirmed for Xperia™ PLAY, the ever-growing ecosystem offers a broad range of games that appeal to all types of gamers.
- New titles include Minecraft™, one of the fastest growing game franchises in history and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6 Shadow Vanguard by Gameloft.
Smart Extras™ – a new way of experiencing applications and services:
Sony Ericsson also announced two new Smart Extras™ – LiveDock™ multimedia station and LiveSound™ hi-fi headset that enhance the overall Android experience.
- LiveDock™ gives consumers the ability to seamlessly integrate their Sony Ericsson smartphone into their home. By simply connecting their smartphone to the docking station, consumers will be able to easily launch applications from the Android Market™ and charge their phones at the same time. LiveDock™ will be available globally in selected markets from Q3.
- LiveSound™ provides consumers with the best possible audio experience combined with a stylish, tangle-free design. The headphones also allow consumers to remotely access applications from the phone through LiveKey™ control, which gives consumers direct access to their applications with a simple push of a button. LiveSound™ will be available globally in select markets from Q3, 2011.
Additionally, Xperia™ arc, Xperia™ PLAY, Xperia™ X10, Xperia™ X8 and Xperia™ neo owners in U.S., France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand can now gain access to Sony’s recently announced “Music Unlimited” powered by Qriocity™ app on the Android Market.
The cloud-based, digital music service gives music lovers anytime, anywhere streaming access to an ever expanding catalogue of currently over seven million licensed songs from major labels.
Sony Ericsson today also announced Sony Ericsson txt, a feature phone aimed at providing consumers with specifications inspired by Xperia™ at an affordable price.
- Sony Ericsson txt presents an excellent opportunity to message on the move with a full QWERTY keyboard. The 2.6” screen and incorporates an SMS shortcut key for easy and fast messaging. It also comes equipped with a “friends” application that enables users to see Facebook™ and Twitter™ updates at a glance from their top five friends. Sony Ericsson txt will be available globally in selected markets from Q3.
For full details on all the products announced today, please visit:
– ENDS –
1) Facts and features may vary depending on local variant. 2) Operational times are affected by network
preferences, type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. playing games. Kit contents and colour options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market.
© Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, 2011
The Liquid Identity logo is trademark or registered trademark of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB. Sony, Walkman and Zappin are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation. Ericsson is the trademark or registered trademark of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson. Additional information regarding trademarks may be located on our website at: www.sonyericsson.com/cws/common/legal/disclaimer.
Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. All terms are subject to change without prior notice.
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, SE-221 88 Lund, Sweden.
Printed in January 2010, R1A
About the Xperia™ PLAY:
The Xperia™ PLAY is powered by the latest version of the Android platform (version 2.3) – and is the world’s first PlayStation® Certified smartphone. Xperia™ PLAY provides a best-in-class gaming experience right out of the box with many of the most popular games pre-loaded at no additional cost, including Madden NFL 2011, Asphalt 6: Adrenaline, Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior, Star Battalion, The Sims 3, and Tetris with additional titles from top franchises at leading game publishers available for purchase. Xperia™ PLAY is currently available in selected markets in Asia Pacific.
About Sony Ericsson
Sony Ericsson celebrates its 10th year as a joint venture between Sony Corporation and Ericsson in October, 2011. Over the years Sony Ericsson has brought together the best communication technologies with superior entertainment user experiences to create its Xperia™ line of the ‘most entertaining smartphones’ in the mobile handset industry. With its global corporate functions in London, Sony Ericsson has sales and marketing operations in all major regions of the world, as well as manufacturing in China, and product development sites in China, Japan, Sweden and Silicon Valley, California. For more information, please visit: www.sonyericsson.com/press.