This geek went to check out the launch of the new Linksys E-series routers today. You can see more photos of the launch event in my Color album here.
Advanced Functionality Meets Style With the New Linksys Maximum Performance Wireless Router
The New Next Gen NBN Ready Linksys E4200 Dual-Band Router Delivers Robust Speed And Range For The Ultimate Wireless Home Living
Singapore, 7 April 2011 – Cisco today unveiled its best-in-class wireless home router – the Linksys® E4200 Maximum Performance Dual-Band Wireless-N Router. As the flagship model of the new Linksys E-series family line, the Linksys E4200 is designed for optimum home theatre performance and works seamlessly with the latest entertainment devices, including Internet TVs, iPad mobile devices, game consoles, smart phones, e-readers, and VoIP devices. This new router not only helps boost performance and range in the home, but also provides industry-leading speed of up to 450 Mbps* for smooth streaming of video, music and uninterrupted gaming. The Linksys E4200 is Next Generation Nationwide Broadband Network (Next Gen NBN) ready and optimises the speed of the fibre broadband network to deliver the performance demanded by wireless devices today.
Building on a decade of leadership and innovation from Linksys, this latest avant-garde router features simultaneous dual-band wireless-N, four gigabit ports, and a 3×3 antenna configuration that help give it unparalleled speed and range. Additionally, a combination of internal and external amplifiers coupled with six antennas help increase the signal strength across greater distances, providing improved home network coverage and reducing dead spots.
Apart from its advanced functionality, there is more than meets the eye to this maximum performance router. Having recently won the red dot design award 2011, the Linksys E4200 features a next-generation industrial design that combines advanced functionality with sleek contours, making it an eye-catching device in any living room.
Linksys E-series Family Line
The Linksys E-series family suite of routers which consists of E4200, E3000, E2000 and E1000, is a new range of wireless-N routers designed to deliver powerful home networking performance for consumers. The E-series routers give consumers the flexibility to enjoy wireless technology catered to their needs. In addition to the Linksys E4200, the E3000 and E2000 are also Next Gen NBN ready, giving consumers more options to harness the speed of the fibre broadband network. All Linksys E-series routers come with the new Cisco Connect software, to provide a simple three-step set-up, taking away the frustration and complexity of setting up a home network. The software also provides network management tools such as parental controls and guest access.
New Features for Storage, Sharing, and Simple Setup
The Linksys E4200’s new USB feature makes it easy to add external storage to the network and since it is an UPnP media server as well, consumers can easily store, share and stream movies, music and games to other devices around the home. The USB port also has the capability to convert into a virtual USB port which will also enable printers to easily connect to the network so all users in the home can print wirelessly.
“The new Linksys E4200 router is developed to meet consumers’ greater demands for maximum and robust home networking performance, not only in terms of functionality but also in terms of style,” said Craig Gledhill, Vice President, Asia Pacific, Cisco Consumer Products. “Increasingly, consumers are living more connected lives and wireless connectivity is such a vital part of our daily living and communications. As the leader in wireless home networking, Cisco continues to invest in bringing innovative and quality wireless technology to everyone who wants to experience the ultimate wireless living – one that provides the joy of seamless connectivity, easy sharing, learning and communications online.”
Research firm IDC reports that worldwide shipments of wireless-N routers are expected to grow 158% from 2010 – 2014 and the number of household with multimedia networks will grow 103% over the same time period (IDC, Worldwide Home Networking 2010-2014 Forecast Update, Doc. # 225479, Nov. 2010). These growth projections emphasise the need for high performance routers like the Linksys E4200 that will provide the speed and range connectivity throughout the home.
- Maximum performance of up to 300 Mbps (2.4) and up to 450 Mbps (5.0GHz)*
- Simultaneous dual-band (2.4 and 5.0 GHz) with four 10/100/100 gigabit ports
- 3X3 internal MIMO special stream configuration on the 5.0 Ghz band for ideal performance for streaming HD videos, gaming and voice
- Internal and external amplifiers for maximum speed at greater distances for added in-home mobility
- Six antennas for maximum range
- Quality of Service (QoS) for prioritising bandwidth for movies, voice or music
- UPnP media server for adding on storage to serve your Internet-enabled TVs or media server PCs
- USB port for easily adding external storage drives
- red dot award winning design, with its contemporary and stylish exterior
- Advanced security: WPA and WPA2 and Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) Firewall
- Plans to support IPv6 in July 2011
- Cisco Connect software for enabling simple setup, network management tools (parental controls, guest access) and optional advanced settings
Pricing and Availability
The Linksys E-series wireless routers are commercially available at the following MSRPs and retailers. For more information about Linksys and the E-series, please visit:
- Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Wireless-N Router MSRP SGD $279.00
- Linksys E3000 High Performance Wireless-N Router MSRP SGD $249.00
- Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router MSRP SGD $159.00
- Linksys E1000 Wireless-N Router MSRP SGD $99.00
Available at Challenger Superstore, Harvey Norman, Best Denki, Courts, South Asia Computer, PK Computer, Inforcom Technologies, Fuwell, A Genuine Technology, Cybermind Computer House, Cyberactive Technology and Bizgram.
- Become a Cisco Linksys Facebook fan: www.facebook.com/ciscolinksys
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/officiallinksys
- Watch us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/officiallinksys
- Cisco Consumer Blogs: http://blogs.cisco.com/consumer
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. This year, Cisco celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Cisco’s vision for the consumer is to enable people to live a connected life that is more personal, more social, and more visual. Further information about Cisco and its full line of consumer products including Linksys and Flip Video can be found at www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC, http://www.facebook.com/FlipSG , andwww.cisco.com/consumer.
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Linksys are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. iPad is a trademark of Apple, Inc. The Next Gen NBN logo is a trademark of the Info-communications Development Authority of Singapore and/or its associated companies. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners.
* The maximum performance for wireless is derived from IEEE Standard 802.11 specifications. Actual performance can vary, including lower wireless network capacity, data throughput rate, range and coverage. Performance depends on many factors, conditions and variables, including distance from the access point, volume of network traffic, building materials and construction, operating system used, mix of wireless products used, interference and other adverse conditions.
© 2011 Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.